*This article is only for customers who have been upgraded to the new Planday platform. You can read more about that process in this blog post.*
Employees can swap shifts, request open shifts, and offer their shifts to other employees with the right skillset. By default, nothing changes without a manager's approval.
Using Open shifts
Navigation: Schedule > Schedule > Create shift
When scheduling, you can leave shifts open if you'd like employees to request them based on their skillset. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Create a shift, assign it to an Employee group or Position, set start and end time, and create it as an Open shift
- Wait for employees to request the shift
- Assign the shift and notify the employee
First, create an Open shift. This can be done from any of the three views, Employees, Groups, and Positions.
Next, an employee can request the Open shift either from the mobile app or desktop.
Now, the manager can confirm the Shift request and notify the employee.
The workflow of Shift swaps
Depending on the settings of your Planday account, employees can swap shifts between themselves if they are assigned to the same Employee group. By default, a manager has to approve Shift swaps.
Shift swaps works as follows:
- An employee hands over a shift to another employee, or makes it available for others to request
- The other employee approves the handover, or employees request the shift as an Open shift
- A manager approves or rejects the swap, employees are notified, and the schedule updated accordingly
Notification settings for Swap requests and Shift requests
Navigation: Settings > Portal Settings > Notifications
Managers can set their swap and shift request notifications to fit their needs. By default Pending actions are shown on the dashboard both in the mobile app and the desktop version. Additional notifications can be set up from Settings.